Pressure Cooker Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili
A fast and simple vegetarian chili with sweet potatoes, quinoa, black beans and pinto beans.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion 1/4-inch diced
- 2 mediun sweet potatoes peeled and 1/2-inch diced (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium red bell peppers 3/4-inch diced
- 1 medium jalapeno diced (remove the seeds if you don't like spicy)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp salt sea salt preferred
- 1/2 tsp sugar sugar in the raw (whole cane sugar) if available
- 2.5 cups chicken broth vegetable broth if vegetarian/vegan
- 1 can tomato sauce 8oz can
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 can black beans 15oz can
- 1 can chili beans 15oz can
- sliced avocado
- shredded cheese
- crushed tortilla chips
- sour cream
To a 6-quart or large pressure cooker / Instant Pot, add the olive oil. Turn to SAUTE and let the oil heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and cook until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, and salt. Cook for 1 to 2 additional minutes, until the garlic is fragrant.
Add half of the vegetable broth and stir, scraping up any stuck-on bits of food (this will prevent a burn warning). Stir in the remaining broth and the quinoa. Pour the tomato sauce on top (do not stir again).
Cover and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on manual (HIGH) pressure for 8 minutes. Immediately release the pressure. Carefully open the Instant Pot.
Turn the Instant Pot to OFF. Stir in the black beans, kidney beans, and sugar. Place the lid back on top and let stand 10 minutes to thicken. Uncover. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Serve hot, with any and all the toppings!